Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The People Behind Interlink - Ember

Posted by Ember Mumaw, Intern

As an intern for Interlink in 2008 my job is to serve in whatever capacity is most needed. Right now I work primarily for the Kids Connection program, visiting orphanages regularly, helping to celebrate birthdays each month, and doing the behind the scenes work it takes to make this possible. When able, I also help out with the Youth Impact program for orphanage graduates by building relationships and assisting with curriculum updates. At the office the artsy projects (photography or design) are happily finding their way to my desk keeping my to-do list full and exciting.

However, the focus of my first 3-6 months is culture and language learning. I have Kazakh lessons twice a week with a local Kazakh teacher whose standards are high, but methods are perfect for me. I also have the privilege of living with a Kazakh family. The family works on my lessons with me and provides an opportunity to practice. Outside of my lessons and home, I work to understand the life here. This may be as simple as figuring out and making the bus commute, shopping at the bazaar, enjoying a family party, playing games, or interacting with the office staff.

As I become more language competent and culturally aware I will be able to serve the team in greater capacity, which will be a help as delegation season arrives!