Friday, April 4, 2008

A Loving Hand

Posted by Moldir Kidirbekova, Youth Impact Coordinator

When we visited Savva orphanage in March, we played outside games with the children in the evening. Ember played volleyball with the older girls. Keekzhan played soccer with the older boys. I played with a group of younger kids. We played different games. While playing, I was holding hands with one of the girls. I noticed that she had a wart on her hand. The other children began pushing her back saying that it was nasty and they would not have her in the game. She became embarrassed. I knew that she wanted to play very much. I wanted to ask her why the wart had appeared and take her to the doctor, but then I thought that maybe the doctor was already aware of it. Also, everybody’s attention was focused on her. I decided to continue holding her hand and asked them to continue playing. She felt comfort. As a result, the other kids, without saying anything, joined me. Was my deed right or wrong? I’m not sure. I just know that I didn’t hurt her feelings.