Saturday, May 10, 2008

Perspectives on our Savva Visit


We visit Savva Orphanage on the first Sunday of every month. This month we thought it would be nice for you to hear about that visit from several different perspectives. We hope you enjoy!

Ken Baskette

Visiting the Savva orphanage is one of my favorite work activities. Because it is far away we only go once a month. We have many good relationships with the children and staff there.

This past weekend we were able to visit to celebrate birthdays for all children born in April plus we celebrated Men’s Day with all the boys at Savva. For Men’s Day we gave each boy a new digital watch. Nothing fancy, but it keeps time and date. Also, to help everyone celebrate, we gave each boy and girl a fresh banana. This may sound a little odd but bananas are expensive here so the children rarely get to eat them.

As usual the children greet us with hugs and kisses. We play games, sports, sit around and chat and exchange letters. We love bringing them gifts from American sponsors back home. The watches and letters were a big hit. Many children write back right away. It is so rewarding to do this work and love doing it.


Olya Cherevko

Last Sunday we had our usual visit to Savva. Kiikzhan and I prepared a smoking seminar for the older boys. The seminar went really well, with all the boys asking questions about how to stop smoking. Some of them shared examples of people they knew that had been able to quit smoking. The next morning I got a letter from one of the boys that I have never received a letter from. He was thanking us for the movies that we bring, the seminar that we gave encouraging them to quit smoking and focus on sports, and the birthday parties and gifts that we give them. He wrote this letter at 5 am and it was a long letter - much more than what children usually write. It was good to hear from their perspective that they appreciate what we do.


Sara Coggins


I was actually sick during most of our visit. Before getting sick, I sat in the hallway playing Legos with a changing group of children. A couple eighth graders that study English came and sat with me to practice English. One of the girls operated as my "translator" with the other children. It was fun to see how far her English has come over the last three years.

At one point, one of the boys that I had talked with during our last visit about his desire to quit smoking came and knocked on the door were I was resting. I was feeling well enough to talk, so we talked about how he was doing with his goal to quit smoking. As of my last visit, he was smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. He shared with me that he had been able to cut back to two cigarettes a day. We also talked about his future plans and desires.

In the morning, after having been at Savva but not seen by most of the children, I was rewarded with many HUGE smiles and hugs as I left my room. They were concerned about my health and wanted to make sure I was okay. It was encouraging to know that I had been missed. I actually had the opportunity to have some conversations that I never would have had if I had not been sick.


Ember Mumaw

“Balagon” a small hut made of sticks and leaves.
“Tourniquet” a jungle gym.

Each time I visit Savva I get to see a little bit more of the children's lives. I get to see what they are like and what they do when they put down their walls. This visit I spent a lot of time walking around the property with different children. They showed me their garden full of beets and onions, and beets and onions, and beets and onions. There may have been other things, but the children didn’t know what they were and/or couldn’t explain it to me! They showed me their quite impressive looking balangon, their cool stunts off the old rusty water tower, and all the tricks they can do on the tourniquet.

And I finally realized that while we often spend so much time with the young kids, who are eager for games and silliness, the older girls could be found walking arm in arm around the grounds. As the evening approached I found several sets of girls who were more than happy for me to join them. They walked and talked and sometimes, if there was a Kazakh speaker, we talked and laughed as we tried to understand each other. I hope to have more evening opportunities to walk with these young women.