Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Plans... what plans?

 Posted by Ila Simers, Delegate


As I prepared for my trip to Kazakhstan I tried to imagine what it would be like.  I really had no idea what to expect.  Bethany kept telling me ...be flexible! Things may change along the way.  Well, I can go with the flow, like a river…just part of the nursing profession; never know what will happen next!  Bethany said…"plans…what plans?”

I came as part of this delegation to care for the children at the orphanage, to provide them with special attention and help meet some of their needs in small ways for 3 days. 
One wrong step and I was sitting on the ground in great pain…I knew it didn’t look good! Okay, I really didn’t expect the table to be turned; where I needed others to take care of me.  My thoughts were; “thousands of miles from home, way out of my comfort zone and now I may have fractured my ankle.  What am I going to do now?”  My big lesson was…learning to ask others for help!  This is a very difficult lesson for someone who has spent her life caring for others.   

The members of this team were so wonderful to me.  They tried to make me as comfortable as possible under the circumstances.  They let me lean on them as I hobbled around during the activities…let me participate in little ways (sitting in the shade while the children played bean bag toss) since my mobility was really limited.  The compassion and willingness to help me was totally overwhelming…they knew how difficult it was for me to ask for their help, so the just kept coming to me asking if there was anything that I needed.  By the end of the 3rd day we had developed a special technique that worked well…we are a great team!  I truly do appreciate all of the assistance that they gave to me during this very painful, trying time.

I was especially touched by the reaction of the children in the Vanofka orphanage.  They were very concerned about my well being.  They made sure that my walker was right next to me, in case I needed it.  It was fun sitting there watching them play with the walker that Zoya, their mother had gotten for me to use during my stay.  They told me that they used it as a skateboard and showed me how they did that.  The simplest things give them pleasure.  Several of them stayed close to me, so they could help me get up from my seat.  They would give me a hand when I needed it and made others move out of the path so that I could move about without dodging obstacles.  I was moved when I found 2 small stickers on the handle of my walker.  When I asked who put them there, the response was “Andrey.”  I asked him why…his reply was “to make it pretty!”  I had to save his stickers for my journal.  He has such a kind, caring heart, it is hidden behind his 8 year old behaviors most of the time.   

I am truly grateful for all the care and concern that everyone has shown me this week…this is one lesson that won’t be easily forgotten…Thank You all!