Saturday, August 9, 2008

Sprains, stings and swimming pools


Posted by Karen Flannery, Delegate
On Thursday, we were excited to have a full day to spend with the kids.  We started setting up for some games in the morning, and Ila turned her ankle when she stepped in an uneven spot in the yard.  We had stations set up for games, coloring pages to give as awards for a fundraising race for Kids Connection (which will be held in the US), and interviews of the kids to find out more about their interests.  We set Ila up where she could keep her foot propped during the games. 
The children were very excited that we had made arrangements to take them to a pool for two hours each day.  We started to gather the kids to take them swimming, and little Roma was very upset because he thought he was going to be left behind since he was not in the first car load of kids.  The excitement on the kids faces could hardly be contained.  The water had just been added to the pool which was 4 feet deep at the shallow end and 6 feet at the deep end.  Some of the kids did not know how to swim so I was attempting to give lessons, which gets a little complicated when there is a language barrier.  The water was very cold but that did not keep the kids from enjoying this special treat.
We took a break for snack and to let the little ones stop shivering.  As I was sitting there drinking my Fanta, I was extra cautious as yellow jackets were flying around.  However, as I took a sip suddenly I heard screaming.  I must say it surprised me when I realized I was the one screaming.  I pulled the bottle of Fanta away from my lip and still connected to my lip by its stinger was a yellow jacket.  Ooh that hurt, but thankfully it was brushed away by one of my teammates, and I was offered salt to put on my lip to help take the sting out.  Ila and I have had our fair share of Ibuprofen and ice since that time.  Thankfully, I am not allergic to stings. 
           
Later in the afternoon, I was able to teach a lesson about love, which the kids seemed to enjoy. Daphne also did a time of teaching and games.  The children at this private orphanage are so well behaved, helpful, and excited to do the activities we have planned for them. The plan changes frequently, but flexibility is always a good thing when you are in a different culture.
The kids enjoyed building wood kits last night. They demonstrated for us how they used to use a walker, which they brought for Ila to use,  as a scooter.  It will be hard to leave the children tomorrow, but I am also looking forward to working with the kids with Cerebral Palsy when we go to Shymkent.  We will be doing a camp there that will include the parents of children with Cerebral Palsy.  It will also be a small group to work with so we should be able to get to know them all as well.