Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ulan Carnival

Posted by Asel Orumbayeva, Receptionist

Last Sunday, on the 21 of September (my one year anniversary of working for Interlink), I went to Ulan Orphanage with the Kid’s Connection department.  The event was "Ulan Carnival". It was a wonderful and warm day.  The air was so fresh and the sun was shining. We took a lot of different games to play outside. Also we had helpers from PTL (Polytechnic College were many orphan graduates study) and the Youth House (a home for orphans between the ages of 18 and 25 that are working or studying).


We divided into groups and each group was in charge of one game. We arrived at Ulan orphanage. There is a big yard there and after everybody had found a place for their game we called the children. In my game children had to throw bean bags into a board with holes.  It was a clown and the holes were its eyes and nose. Every kid had three chances to throw the bean bag. If a child hit even one hole, he or she got a prize. 


 It wasn’t my first experience working with these children, but it was the first time I had the chance to work with them without Sara or somebody from the Kid’s Connection department.  The game began!  I am sure that children had a lot of fun!  Children were standing in long lines and everybody wanted to get a prize.  I liked so much when children got a prize.  Their faces became so happy!  Some of them sometimes came, made sad faces and asked for a gift and it was so difficult to say “no”, especially when it was a little 5-6 year old kid.  But then Sara told me that I shouldn’t worry because the youngest children were 9-10 years old!  They know that they look young and the kids sometimes try to take advantage of it.  So interesting.


These children are different, big and little, shy and self-confident, but all of them need love and care. And I am so glad that even sometimes I can contribute a little piece of my heart to this great job that our company does.