Friday, November 21, 2008

Improvements to the Kids Connection program- Part 2

Posted by the Kids Connection Team

Kids Connection has regional coordinators who help us find and take care of our sponsors. These coordinators contribute many hours a month to help us run this program.

We thought you might like to get to know them:

Pam Brown- Richmond, Virginia Region

Family: husband, Gilpin, daughter- Karen and Dave Bosley, and son, Gordon and Marty Brown and two wonderful grandkids, Mabel and Atticus Brown

Job: wife, mom, grandma

Favorite Hobby: reading, being with kids

How did you get involved with Interlink? I was blessed to get involved in the same year I first knew of Interlink - in 2000. I was asked to be on the board that year and am getting ready for my seventh trip to visit team and friends in Kazakhstan.

Why are you involved with Kids Connection? I'm very excited about the program and have seen first hand the joy our letters and pictures bring to the children in Kazakhstan.  It's such a fun and easy way to have a big impact on kids over there and it's also a wonderful way for so many to get personally involved with our work there.

Lisa White- Lynchburg, Virginia Region

Family: husband - Jamey; children, Elizabeth, 6 and Matthew, 3

Job: Stay at home, home schooling mom.

Favorite Hobby: Reading, cooking

How did you get involved with Interlink? Through my community of friends

Why are you involved with Kids Connection? My husband and I adopted our daughter, Elizabeth, from Kazakhstan, and we have a heart burdened for the orphans of Kazakhstan.

Jim Asher- Portland, Oregon Region

Family: wife - Glenda, 3 daughters, and 2 grandchildren

Job: High school Guidance Counselor / 12th grade homeroom teacher

Favorite Hobby: Fishing and coaching girl’s basketball

How did you get involved with Interlink? I was asked to go with a group of people to do an English program in a village in Kazakhstan, which was in 2000.  I have been back every year since.  This coming June with be my 10th trip.  Kazakhstan has become a part of me because of the opportunity provided by Interlink.

Why are you involved with Kids Connection? The privilege of helping provide for the kids at the orphanage is something I really enjoy participating in.  Having met so many of the children and having built personal relationships with them has been wonderful.  Knowing that the children are being cared for in this way is very comforting for me.  The ability to actually write them and to get responses back is really great!  They have become like my own children.

Bethany Planton- Muncie, Indiana Region

Family: dad – Mike, mom – Kathy, and sister - Bailey

Job: Interlink - Coordinator of Kids Connection Sponsors and Ball State University - Computer Lab Assistant

Favorite Hobby: Scrapbooking, reading, and hanging out with friends

How did you get involved with Interlink? I went on my first delegation summer of 2006 and feel in love with the country. I have been involved ever since.

Why are you involved with Kids Connection? I am involved because I have spent time in the orphanages that Interlink works in and I have seen how the children need love. I want to help them feel loved anyway I can.