Thursday, September 24, 2009

Reflections from Abby

Posted by Abby Naunheimer, Delegate


My time in Kazakhstan was a great reminder of how much need there is around the world. We, as a culture, more often recognize the physical needs, but there were countless times where my team was simply called to converse or play with the local adults and children. We were needed to be listening ears and loving arms for those who do not readily get attention. I can quickly forget how difficult it is to live in other regions of the world. It was so good to be in Kazakhstan and truly experience what life can be like in central Asia. It made me proud to know people who have lived or traveled there before me.



My experience was enhanced by a local family who allowed my husband and I to stay in their home; where they cooked meals for us, taught us bits of language and culture, and simply befriended us. They gave us a window into the life of a loving family.