Friday, November 6, 2009

Priceless!

Posted by Tim Brown, Delegate


Monday, Oct 12th was an incredible day. I am still processing through all that I had experienced. I was once again reminded that a smile and a laugh in any language means the same thing.

We started our day getting introduced to the staff here at Interlink and getting an overview of the various ways they work with the people of Kazakhstan. Next we took our visit to the orphanage at Saryrmoldayeva where I got to meet for the first time the 2 children that our family has sponsored since January. Sergey (boy - 6 years old) and Ayaluim (girl - 9 years old).

The orphanage director provided us with an extensive tour of her facility and I was quite impressed. My only other comparision is what Lisa and I experienced in 2000 when we adopted Mitchell from the Bobek (baby house) in Aqtobe, KZ. After our tour we had an unplanned traditional meal in a Yurt (tent) on the orphanage property. We then spent the next 1 1/2 hours with our kids at a local entertainment center (kids play area). The evening concluded with having dinner with the Miller family who have been in KZ since mid/late summer as the conclude the adoption of their 6th child. They have 2 biological, 2 adopted from Liberia, and 2 adopted from KZ (one 4 years ago and the other hopefully to be finalized next week).

Below is just a sampling of photos.


Lunch at the Interlink office with the staff


At the orphanage


With my two sponsored children


Riding the bumper cars