Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The People Behind Interlink - Barb

Posted by Barb Bullard, Administrative Assistant

I was a teenager and young adult during the Vietnam War. As others spoke of opposition to the war, I very publicly spoke of the need to support our troops and the Vietnamese people. I considered career paths that involved service to others but like many, life just evolved because I had a family and needed a job to help provide housing, food, etc. I was offered employment at a “good” job and worked there for many years. I am grateful for the friends I made, the skills and training I received and the provision for my family that this job allowed. It was in fact a good job.

After retirement, I spent the summer doing all of the things I had dreamed of doing…sleeping, reading, working in the yard, cooking fabulous meals (this is somewhat questionable) and swinging on the porch. This was fun for a few days and then I wanted to do something that was meaningful, had purpose and allowed me to think rather than vegetate. I called the Interlink director and we talked about volunteer opportunities. I started volunteering the next week in the Muncie, IN office.

Now, almost 2 years later, I am again very grateful for the friends I have made and the opportunity to make even a small difference. Learning about Kazakhstan, the people there and getting to know our in country team has been one of the best opportunities I have experienced and I am humbled by the sacrifices the staff and team at Interlink make to serve others.