Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thoughts from the Delegation


Posted by Ellen Andrusia

Leaving this country is very hard especially because my heart is not going home with me. The children have unknowingly stolen it. One day I hope to express to them how much they have given me. I came to give and even though I gave what i had, I received far more. Thank you Kazakhstan for teaching me the true meaning of giving.


Posted by Janet Varvel

The table was set for royalty. Platers laden with foods, pasta filled with meat, fish, breads, nuts, fruits, chocolates, etc, etc. Were we with the high officials? No, we were eating at the Saramoldaeva Orphanage, hosted by the director, Gulparshin. She is an extraordinary woman. Her orphanage is rated number one in the region because of her dedication and love for the nearly 200 children who call this place home. We walked through room after room of lovely decorated rooms. The walls were covered with artwork that would rival the finest museums. But once again it was the handful of children we encountered that made our hearts so full. The little ones who played in the park with us earlier in the week were exuberant - full of joy - at the sight of their new friends. Once again we lost Ellen, who was on the floor with Vlada, sill in her pretty pink. Marion found her "lost boy" - her first sponsored child. To see them together was a special privilege. He was stoic - but visibly moved. Our own Dasha - so excited to meet me for the first time brought unexpected emotion to me. These kids are now a part of us - forever in our mind. To what end? We may never know, but we are all forever changed by the shadows of their smiles.