Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Farewell to the Kazakhs

Posted by Tina Motley, Delegate

What I have learned from my sojourn is probably more than I know at this moment. Having never left the United States before, this was a life altering experience. The Kazakh people are a special kind.

I love my county because it is home but the Kazakhs could teach Americans a lot about hospitality. They treat their guests with the utmost care and concern. Coming from a very fast paced , practical way of thinking, it was a difficult adjustment. I have to admit that one of my weaknesses is building relationships, I am usually satisfied with a good book and the internet. A conversation is typically a means to and end, not the end itself.

While Americans value time efficiency, Kazakhs value relationships and people. They are very polite, always concerned about the comfort of their guests. At one time in their culture, all good tasting food was saved for guests, not to be eaten by them at all.

It is a beautiful country and there were moments that I was moved at the sheer beauty. But one of my main interests in the trip was to visit the orphans, as I am a social worker in the US. Although being an orphan anywhere is sad; I think the orphans in KZ may be better off than the foster children in the US. The staff seemed to h ave the right motivations and love. And there is consistency and predictability.

It is great to be home, to drive my car, relax in my own condo and listen to my favorite music. This journey taught me not to take my country for granted. I just wish more Americans could understand just how fortunate we are and more so, that those very freedoms are at stake.